Assistant Professor, P. G. Department of Zoology and Principal Investigator, Centre for Research on Aquatic Resources, S. D. College.
Winner of a host of awards and fellowships have been bestowed for his research contributions including the prestigious BOYSCAST Fellowship of DST, Govt. of India, International Biotechnology Training Fellowship of the German Research Centre for Biotechnology, Air India Best Teacher Award, Young Scientist Award of the Association of Microbiologists of India, Visiting Fellowship of the Indian Academy of Science to name a few. Considering his expertise in the area of aquatic weeds, the Govt. of Kerala had included him as an Expert in the Committee formed constituted to suggest ways and means of controlling and utilizing water hyacinth in the backwaters of Vembanad covering the districts of Kottayam, Alappuzha and Ernakulam in 2009. Most recently, he was selected for the first FLAIR Research Excellence Award 2015-16 of the Department of Higher Education, Govt. of Kerala and the Rural Innovator Award during 2014 & 2016.
1) “Economic utilisation of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) through solid state fermentation”. Funded by State Committee on Science, Technology & Environment, Govt. of Kerala. August 1998-2000.
2) “Cellulase production by native microflora using water hyacinth as substrate under solid state fermentation”. Funded by Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt. of India, July 2001-03.
3) Cellulase production by selected bacteria using Salvinia molesta as solid substrate under SSF. Funded by Univ. Grants Commission, Govt. of India, June 2009-11.
4) “Development of a solid state fermentation technology for cellulase production using Salvinia molesta as substrate”. Funded by KSCSTE, Govt. of Kerala. May 2009 – May 2012.
5) “Valorization of aquatic weeds through appropriate technologies”. Funded by Kerala State Committee on Science, Technology & Environment. June 2013-May 2015.
I. In Journals
- Process parameters influencing tannase production by Aspergillus niger using mangrove (Rhizophora apiculata) bark in solid substrate fermentationTan Wee Yee, Nagendra G. Prabhu, Jain, K. and Darah IbrahimAfrican Journal of Biotechnology 2011, 10 (61), 13147-13154
- Value addition of agro-industrial wastes using solid state fermentation technology – problems and possibilities with special reference to Malaysia. G. Nagendra PrabhuJournal of Science & Technology in the Tropics. 2006, 2 (2), 119-123.
- Cellulase production by native bacteria using water hyacinth as substrate under solid state fermentation.R. Suresh Chandra Kurup, C. Snishamol and G. Nagendra PrabhuMalaysian Journal of Microbiology 2005 Vol. 1 (2) 25-29.
- Indian initiatives in Biotechnology. G. Nagendra PrabhuSouth Asian Journal of Socio Political Studies. 2003, 4 (1), 96-120.
- Solid state fermentation – a suitable biotechnology for the optimal utilization of agro-industrial and fishery wastes of Kerala. G. Nagendra PrabhuSouth Asian Journal of Socio Political Studies. 2003, 3 (2), 103-105.
- Purification and characterisation of an anticancer enzyme produced by marine Vibrio costicola under a novel solid state fermentation process.G. Nagendra Prabhu & M. ChandrasekaranBrazilian Archives of Biology & Technology, 1999, 42: 3, 363-367
- Impact of process parameters on L-glutaminase production by marine Vibrio costicola in solid state fermentation using polystyrene as an inert support.G. Nagendra Prabhu & M. ChandrasekaranProcess Biochemistry, 1997, 32: 4, 285-289
- L-Glutaminase production by marine Vibrio costicola under solid state fermentation using different substrates.G. Nagendra Prabhu & M. ChandrasekaranJournal of Marine Biotechnology, 1996, 4: 176-179
- Cobalt (II) and Copper (II) complexes of 1-nitrobenzyl-2-nitrophenyl benzimidazole: Synthesis, Characterisation and Antibacterial activity studies.N. Saravanan, K.K.M. Yusuff, P. V. Suresh & G.N. PrabhuSynthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic and Metal-Organic Chemistry 1996, 26:5, 901-926
- Polystyrene – an inert carrier for L-glutaminase production by marine Vibrio costicola under solid state fermentation.G. Nagendra Prabhu & M. ChandrasekaranWorld Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 1995, 11: 683-684
II. In Books
- Mushroom cultivation using aquatic weeds of Kerala.Anoop Kumar. V, Sreelakshmi. T. P, Azmi. T, Bindu. P, Unnikrishna Pillai. P. R and G. Nagendra PrabhuProceedings of National Symposium on Emerging Trends in Biotechnology(ISBN 978-93-80095-47-9), 2014, 166-176
- Preliminary characterization of Siderophone producing bacteria isolated from Kuttand, Alleppey, Kerala.Bindu. P and G. Nagendra Prabhu Proceedings of National Symposium in Biotechnology (ISBN 978-93-80095-39-4) 2012, 7-13
- Valorization of seafood processing by-products by biological methods.Suresh P. V and G. Nagendra PrabhuValorization of Food Processing By-productsCRC-Taylor Press, New York, September 2012; ISBN: 9781439848852
- Bacterial cellulase production under solid state fermentation – Eichhornia crassipes as substrate.G. Nagendra Prabhu and R. Suresh Chandra KurupLambert Academic Publishers, GermanyISBN 978-3-8473-3760-7 February 2012
- Backwater tourism in Kerala with special reference to Alappuzha district – major threats and remedies.C. Snishamol, S. Jayadev, R. Suresh Chandra Kurup and G. Nagendra PrabhuTourism Trends and StrategiesSonali Publications, New Delhi2011, pp 97-111: ISBN 978-81-8411-370-1
- Development of New Laccase-mediators for Pulp Bleaching Li, K.; Prabhu, N. G.; Cooper, D. A.; Xu, F.; Elder, T. and Eriksson, K. E. L.Oxidative Delignification Chemistry – Fundamentals and CatalysisAmerican Chemical Society, 2001, pp. 400 – 412 Oxford University Press; ISBN: 0841237387
- Use of inert supports in solid state fermentation – a polystyrene experimentG. Nagendra Prabhu & M. ChandrasekaranAdvances in BiotechnologyEducational Publishers & Distributors, 1998, pp. 51 – 57
III. In Conferences
- Bioresource utilization through solid state fermentationInternational Symposium on Bioprocess EngineeringKodakara, Trichur, October 1-4, 2010.
- Utilization of common aquatic weeds of Kerala by appropriate technologies.International Conference on Green Path to SustainabilityChanganassery, July 11-13, 2010
- Marine Microbiology – Past, Present and Future.International Symposium on Marine BiotechnologyKodakara, Trichur, October 1-3, 2009.
- Biomass estimation in solid state fermentation. International Conference on New Horizons in Biotechnology,Trivandrum, India, November 26-29, 2007.
- Value addition of agro-industrial wastes using solid state fermentation technology – problems and possibilities (Oral).2nd International Conference on Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, December 8-10, 2005, Sabah, Malaysia
- Cellulase production by native bacteria using aquatic weeds as substrate under solid state fermentation (Oral) International Seminar on Solid State Fermentation, October 4-6, 2004, Penang, Malaysia
- Use of nutritionally inert supports in solid state fermentation (Oral)14th National Biotechnology Seminar, December 11-13, 2003, Penang, Malaysia-7-
- Optimal utilisation of agro-industrial and fishery wastes of Kerala through solid state fermentation (Oral) National Seminar on Biotechnology in Industry, Cochin, September 19-20, 2002.
- Isolation and preliminary characterisation of cellulolytic bacteria associated with common aquatic weeds of Kerala (Oral).AMI Annual Conference on Microbial Biotechnology, Gulbarga, November 9th -11th 2001
- Strategies for economic utilisation of aquatic weeds of Kerala (Oral).National Seminar on Kuttanad Development, Edathua, Alleppey, 22-24th November 2001.
- The role of solid state fermentation in bioconversion of agro-industrial and fishery wastes in Kerala, S. India – A case for further study (Poster).
- Utilisation of water hyacinth for cellulase production using native microflora under SSF (Poster).
- Downstream processing strategies for penicillin G acylase by E. coli 5k pHM (Oral).International Conference on New Horizons in Biotechnology,Trivandrum, April 18-21, 2001.
- Relevance of solid state fermentation in Kerala (Oral).National Seminar on Phytochemicals & NutritionTrivandrum, January 8th, 2001
- Extraction of L-glutaminase produced by marine Vibrio costicola under solid state fermentation.Proceedings of the 10th Kerala Science Congress (January 1998, pp 245-248)
- Use of inert supports in solid state fermentation – a polystyrene experiment (Poster).The International Conference on Frontiers in Biotechnology, Trivandrum, Nov. 26-29, 1997
- L-Glutaminase production by marine Vibrio costicola using copra cake under solid state fermentationNational Symposium on The Relevance of Biotechnology in IndustryCochin, March 4-5, 1995
- Simultaneous production of Polysaccharases and L-Glutaminase by marine Vibrio costicola ACMR 267 during solid state fermentation (Poster).
- Production of L-glutaminase by marine Vibrio costicola ACMR 267 using different substrates under solid state fermentation (Poster).International Conference on Microbiology (Mysore, Nov. 9-12, 1994)
- Characterisation of L-glutaminase from marine Vibrio costicola (Poster).16th International Congress of Biochemistry and Molecular BiologyNew Delhi, Sept. 19-22, 1994
IV Popular Articles(Selected Only)
- Probiotics and Human HealthProbe Microbe, AMI Newsletter Mysore, 2009 pp. 6-82.
- Bioconversion of ligno-cellulosic materials Everyman’s Science Vol. 38, No. 6, 354-356 Feb/March, 2004
- A Hole in the Sky – report on Ozone Depletion. College Annual Magazine 2002, S. D. College, Alleppey
- Biotechnology – An introduction to the science of the 21st Century Science India Vol. 4 No. 5, pp. 4-6, November 20015.
- The End of the Beginning – A Report of the Human Genome ProjectCollege Annual Magazine 2001, S. D. College, Alleppey
- Biotechnology – Science of the 21st Century College Annual Magazine 1998, S. D. College, Alleppey
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=52yEYnrYf34
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=WutF5Ee9nOs – You tube link to my research as appeared in Karali TV in February.
3. https://edinbox.com/kerala-res earchers-water-hyacinth/
4. https://india.mongabay.com/201 8/01/23/researchers-innovate-t o-generate-money-out-of-water- hyacinth/
5. https://www.thebetterindia.com /123463/water-hyacinths-killin g-your-pond-these-kerala-resea rchers-will-save-it/